Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Double Unders

According to Wikipedia, Double Unders are defined as "To perform a double under, the participant needs to jump up higher than usual while swinging the rope twice under his feet it is possible to have the rope swing three times under the feet (triple under). In competitive jump rope triples, quadruples ("quads"), and quintuples ("quins") are common. Crossfit teaches you to do double unders like THIS. Double unders are a skill you start learning in GRADE SCHOOL. You are introduce to it WAAAYYY early in life....meaning I have had time to practice. On Friday I was faced with a workout that contained double unders as the first "exercise" in this list of workouts. I have to admit, I'm not the greatest at these but I'm not to shabby. The workout went as follow (or close to it):


1 round: 16min Cut Off & you could not move on to the next until the exercise was complete.
30 unbroken double unders
15 Clean and Jerk (120#)
?? Muscle Ups
25 Right arm KB snatches (35#)
25 Left arm KB Snatches (35#)
10 pistols
30 unbroken double unders


I did my normal warm up. Set up my bar for push jerk with 120# (which would be a PR for me, and I was to do it 15x) and my rings for muscle ups. 16min cut off. Guess who couldn't get past double unders. I tried 2 different ropes, ipod, no ipod, tennis shoes, no tennis shoes. Double unders put me in tears. I let them win and I'm ashamed of it. I was in front of many coaches that I admire and look up too. I was also wearing my "Bad Ass" socks but I'm not going to dwell on that because I didn't feel bad ass. I don't know the last time I have been that frustrated. I let double unders get to me and I'm passed embarrassed about my behavior. To prevent this from happening again, I have vowed to do no less than 10 straight mins of double unders. I am also trying a new rope on Saturday. I will keep you updated on the progress.

1 comment: